Friday 27 July 2012

That's A Wrap

I have finished my wrap dress just in time for some Summery weather! Am going out tonight and think that this will be just perfect - fresh and pretty, think I'll even curl my hair for the occasion.



It was a pretty easy pattern really. The only thing I would do differently is use a light weight interfacing instead of the medium one I used, and I think the interfacing should be cut without including the seam allowance, as this made the neck band a wee bit tricky to press and it could make it look puckered around the curve.  But I persevered and it worked well anyway!
One other thing is the neckline. It's fine if you spend all day standing straight and tall, but if you want to sip a coffee or sit down and chat with a friend, you might find they get to know a whole new you! It is too low and too gaping really, so whilst you are hand-sewing on the two hook & eyes, put one at the neckline too. 
A close up of the front shoulder gathered detail.
This is where I added the extra hook & eye.

If it happened to be a breezy day, and the top wrap opening flew open, the underneath wrap does cover up quite a bit, just in case. But if you were worried, the belt is not attached, so you could always tie it so that the weight of the belt ties helped to hold down the front overlap in case it was a windy day.
Demonstrating effects of a possible breeze.


Demonstrating effects of a possible gale.


6 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog. This dress is beautiful and is very flattering on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely on you- I feel like the perfect non-gapping, non-thigh bearing wrap dress is the grail quest- this one looks like it could be just right! Another pattern to buy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I love it when I'm reading a blog post and I'm all, "that's a cute pattern. I should look that one up!" And then I scroll down to the next post and I'm all, "hey! I have that pattern already!"

    That pattern has been sitting in my stash for ever. Thanks for reminding me I need to make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great make actually! You should definitely give it a go. Mind you I am already needing to re-think the gaping bust issue for next time I wear it. Let me know if you have a good closure idea for it!

      Delete
  4. I love the dress! It turned out beautifully! I am looking at making one to wear to a family wedding in a few months...does the cotton wrinkle terribly? Or not too badly? I love the fabric you chose and I'm looking for something similar. Awesome job on the dress! I've loved your website!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kathy!
      The cotton does crease but I wouldn't say wrinkle. I have worn it to a dance, to sit down meetings and on both occasions it still looked smart when I stood up. I love wearing it, it feels special and fitted.
      You may have noticed that I used a hook and eye at the bust, but now that I have worn it a few times, I am thinking of changing it to a press-stud (snap) instead, just for the extra "no peek" insurance.
      The fabric I chose was Amy Butler fabric from the Gypsy Caravan collection.
      I do hope you find the right dress for he wedding!

      Delete

Thanks so much for wanting to leave a message, but I have now had to stop messages due to rude spam.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...