Monday 4 March 2013

McCall's 6713

It's finished at last!  The clear elastic that I'd been waiting for arrived today, so I got it home and sewed it in very quickly, then got my Mister to drive me up the road to take these lovely photos.  I almost feel like a Highlander with the tartan effect and the sheep in the Glen behind me.
This pattern has a few tricky parts to it, but the instructions and diagrams make it very easy to follow.
M6713
McCall's 6713
Walking in the woods
Obviously mine looks nothing like the one on the cover of the pattern envelope, but that's just me.  I chose view A, the dress on the envelope with the A-line skirt but with long sleeves.
I really like the draping flap at the front, and it feels so floaty to walk in too.
This was my first ever attempt at sewing with knits and I am quite pleased with myself!
I used a post from Lladybird and a post from 3 hours past for help and tips.

I also followed a suggestion from gMarie about using clear elastic around the neckline, but now that I see the finished neckline, perhaps I was getting too far ahead of myself.  After all, gMarie is quite proficient at sewing with knits.  Maybe I should have just followed the rules and lined the dress instead.  Especially as this fabric is new to me.  The neckline is cut on the diagonal and my goodness does it stretch!!  The clear elastic definitely helped bring it more snugly against my body, but the way I've done it, it has some slight gathers and looks a bit pouchy and puckered.
Here you can see the puckery way I've stitched the clear elastic to the neckline.  Also the drape is falling to the left so is exposing the front seam where it joins to the dress - you can't see this when standing though.
I really like the way the draped part hangs and falls in little pleats. 
My model pose!
Detail close up.

I think I will make this dress again, but I'll be a good beginner and stick to the rules from now on.  

P.S.  It was a very cold afternoon today, and although I couldn't wait to put my coat back on, this material was surprisingly warm-ish.  Could easily just pop a polo-neck underneath and it would be very suitable for work in this weather.



13 comments:

  1. Nessa, your dress is fabulous... I love the tartan and you are a very chic Highlander...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww... thank you so much! The fabric is fabulous isn't it.

      Delete
  2. Nessa! I think it looks fabulous. Great job. I should have given you hints on working with the clear elastic, I'm sorry.

    Great fabric, wonderful dress and a beautiful model! g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh not at all gMarie! I really appreciate your inspiration! It was so great to have a try at something totally new to me. I am quite happy with it truly. And I WILL be making another one! Thanks for your kind words!

      Delete
  3. I love your dress, it looks brilliant! Gorgeous setting as well :)

    Alison
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes breaking the rules teaches you more than playing it safe! It looks great, especially for a first sew with knits. And of course lovely in the beautiful Scottish countryside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Michelle! I'd never have known anything about clear elastic get I hadn't given it a try. In fact now that you make me think about it, I've learnt a lot of new things from this make.

      Delete
  5. You look gorgeous in this! It's so flattering, and I love all the design details. It looks like it would be really versatile too - dressy with heels or comfy with boots. (Gotta love multi-tasking clothes) You'd never guess this was a first-time knit sew - well done you! I may just have to track this pattern down :) (Hope the model's not planning to bike anywhere in those heels though...)
    Lovely photo shoot too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right - it is comfy and versatile! I wore it to work this week with my blue boots and a thermal vest underneath and it was just perfection! Easy to wear and I felt elegant-ish.
      ...I did think of using my bike for the photos but am just too sensible for such silly shenanigans.

      Delete
  6. This is lovely! I'm thrilled to see your version of this- its just what I'm hopin to make myself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look wonderful! The dress is amazing, and I love the scenery behind you! I've been thinking of making this dress, and I think I'm going to go for it now, but I don't have the beautiful background for photography!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for wanting to leave a message, but I have now had to stop messages due to rude spam.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...